First Day of School Interview Questions for Kids
What You'll Learn
Is your household in back to school mode yet or getting close to it?
Asking your kids some first day of school interview questions can be a fun way to get ready for the new learning year!
Whether you homeschool, your kids go to public school or they attend a private or charter school, the first day can be exciting–and maybe a little scary too.
But asking kids some back-to-school questions in the fall can help them get ready for the big day.
Not sure what questions you should ask?
I’ve got a list of fun first day of school interview questions to pose to kids. And you can snag a free first day of school interview printable in the Busy Mom Vault while you’re here!
Related post: 27 Fun and Free Websites to Help Kids Learn at Home
👉Struggling to create cleaning and decluttering routines?👈
The Organized Home course for busy moms can help! This course covers everything you need to know to get your house in order and stop stressing over the mess!
Why Do a First Day of School Interview?
You might be wondering why you should bother with a first day of school interview for kids.
After all, you’ve probably got enough going on between back to school shopping, creating back to school routines or putting together homeschool plans if your kids learn at home.
But giving kids some first day of school interview questions to ponder is a great opportunity to get to know them better.
It’s also a chance to talk about what they might be expecting for the school year.
That can be helpful, especially if they’re going off to kindergarten for the first time. Having an idea of what’s to come could help kids (and parents) deal with the pangs of separation anxiety.
You can also do a last day of school interview to bookend the year. And you and your kids might be surprised at how their answers change from the first day to the last day of school!
Related post: 30 Kid-Friendly Healthy Breakfast Ideas for School (Quick and Easy!)
First Day of School Interview Questions to Ask Your Kids
So, what kind of questions should you be asking for a first day of school interview?
The best questions to ask are ones that require more than a yes or no answer.
This way, you can have a real conversation with kids about what going back to school means to them. With yes or no questions, you’re more likely to hit a conversational dead end.
Some of the back to school questions you can ask are basic questions about favorite things or what they did over the summer. Others are designed to get kids thinking about what they hope to get out of the school year.
Ready to kick off your first day of school interview with your kids?
Then here are 20+ back-to-school questions to ask to get the conversation rolling!
1. What excites you the most about going back to school?
2. What is something you’d like to learn this year?
3. What subject do you think you’ll enjoy the most?
4. What subject do you think you’ll like the least?
5. What is something fun you want to do this year?
6. Where is some place fun you’d like to go?
7. What was the most fun thing you did over the summer?
8. What is your favorite book?
9. What is your favorite movie or TV show?
10. What is your favorite song?
11. What is your favorite toy?
12. What is your favorite game to play?
13. What is your favorite snack?
14. What is your favorite thing to wear?
15. What is your favorite color?
16. What is your favorite animal?
17. What do you want to be when you grow up?
18. Why do you want to be (insert their answer here)?
19. What is one thing you’d like to get better at this year?
20. What is something you want to ask your teacher?
21. What do you think school will be like?
22. Is there anything about going to school that makes you feel scared or worried?
23. What is one good thing you hope will happen on the first day?
First Day of School Interview Printable
Want a fun way to record some of your child’s answers to the first day of school interview questions?
You can download this free first day of school interview printable!
Kids can use this free back to school printable to:
- Fill in their name and grade
- Draw or paste in a picture of themselves
- Share some of their favorite things
- Describe what they want to be when they grow up
Download your free first day of school interview printables in the Busy Mom Vault!
What Should I Ask My Child on the First Day of School?
Once your child is done with the first day of school, you might be bursting with questions you want to ask them.
So here are a few more first day of school interview questions you can ask after they get home.
- What was the best part of your day?
- What was the hardest thing you had to do today?
- What did you read in class?
- Who did you play with today and what did you play?
- Who did you sit with at lunch and what did you eat?
- What is your teacher like and do you like them?
- What are your classmates like? Did any of them do anything funny or silly?
- Which subject did you think was the easiest or the most fun?
- Which subject did you think was the hardest or the least fun?
- Can you show me something you did or learned at school today?
If you have older kids or kids who have been to school before, you can also ask them questions like:
- What was different this year compared to last year?
- Was there anything you struggled with?
- What kind of homework or assignments do you have?
- What kind of expectations did your teachers set?
- What are your expectations for this school year?
- What extracurricular activities are you interested in doing?
- Which of your friends do you have classes with?
- Do you have any teachers you like or dislike and if so, why?
- Is there anything that makes you feel stressed or anxious about this school year?
- What do you think the biggest challenges will be?
Just remember to give your kids a little space and time to decompress once they get home before you start asking questions.
They might already be feeling a little overwhelmed by their first day of school experience. So give them room to adjust to being back home before asking them about their day.
Final thoughts on first day of school interviewquestions
The first day of school is always important, whether it’s your child’s first day of kindergarten or their first day of senior year.
Asking kids some first day of school interview questions can help you learn more about what they like or don’t like and how they feel about school.
And talking to kids about school can help you avoid becoming a parent who struggles to communicate meaningfully with your children about other things.
So don’t forget to download your free first day of school interview printable in the Busy Mom Vault!
And before you go, be sure to check out some of my favorite Busy Mom Resources for saving time, money and stress!
Struggling to get kids into a healthy morning school routine? Grab these free morning routine charts for kids!
And here are some funny questions to ask kids to get to know them better!